January 7, 2019 Minutes
February 4, 2019 Minutes
March 4, 2019 Minutes
April 1, 2019 minutes
May 6, 2019 minutes
June 3, 2019 minutes
July 1, 2019 Minutes
August 2019 Minutes
Beginning in May 2020, WGG has held virtual monthly meetings via Zoom because Covid-19 has paused in-person meetings. Following are speakers who have addressed up to 80-100 members each month:
· Glen Maxey, Texas Democratic Party primary director
· State Rep. Celia Israel
· Chas Moore, founder and executive director of Austin Justice Coalition
· Dr. Colette Pierce Burnette, president and CEO of Huston-Tillotson University
· Chad Dunn – Texas Democratic Party general counsel
· Katie Naranjo, Travis County Democratic Party chair, and Liz McLeod, TCDP Coordinated Campaign director
· State Rep. Donna Howard and Texas Democratic Party Primary Chair Glen Maxey
· State Reps. Sheryl Cole, Donna Howard, Gina Hinojosa and Celia Israel, and Dallas City Council members Jimmy Flannigan and Alison Alter spoke in December.
· Val Benavidez, president and executive director of Texas Freedom Network, spoke in January 2021.
· Andrew Allison with Austinites for Progressive Reform spoke at the February meeting.
· Anne Dunkelberg, program director for Every Texan, spoke at the March meeting about efforts to get Medicaid Expansion passed in the 2021 legislative session.
· Carl Jones, field director for Non-Urban Rural Outreach, spoke at the April meeting about the organization's efforts to persuade rural and suburban Texans to vote for Democrats.
· Joe Jaworski, candidate for Texas attorney general, and Mike Collier, candidate for lieutenant governor, spoke at the May 3 meeting.
· Former State Sen. Kirk Watson spoke at the June 7 meeting.
· Julie Oliver, executive director of Register2Vote and head of Ground Game Texas, and Glen Maxey, retired legislative affairs director of the Texas Democratic Party, spoke at the July 12 meeting.
· Former Democratic candidate Kim Olson spoke about WomenWin, a PAC supporting women, at the August 2 meeting. Also speaking were State Reps. Celia Israel and Gina Hinojosa.
· State Rep. James Talarico and Cynthia Van Maanen, Travis County Democratic Party executive director, spoke at the September 13 meeting.
· U.S. Rep. Lloyd Doggett and Texas Democratic Party co-executive directors Jamarr Brown and Hannah Roe Beck spoke at the October 4 meeting. Also speaking were Mark Littlefield and Jeremy Hendricks about Austin propositions on the November 2 ballot.
. Ed Espinoza, executive director of Progress Texas; Marisa Bono, chief executive of Every Texan; and Matthew Dowd, candidate for Texas lieutenant governor, spoke at the November 1 meeting.
State Reps. Donna Howard, Gina Hinojosa, Vikki Goodwin, Celia Israel and James Talarico spoke at the December 6 meeting.
Democratic primary candidate forums were held on the January 10, 2022, meeting. Those were: State Board of Education, District 5: Member Rebecca Bell-Metereau, Juan Juarez, Kevin Guico; Travis County Clerk: Dyana Limon-Mercado, Kurt Lockhart; Travis County Commissioner Precinct 2: Commissioner Brigid Shea, Bob Libal; Travis County Commissioner Precinct 4: Commissioner Margaret Gomez, Susanna Ledesma-Woody; Texas House District 50: James Talarico, David Alcorta
Two Democratic primary races were on the February 7 virtual meeting. Those running for U.S. House District 35: former Austin City Council member Greg Casar, former State Rep. Eddie Rodriguez, Carla Joy Sisco and Rebecca Viagran. Five of those running for state House District 51: Cody Arn, Claire Campos-O’Neal, Maria Luisa (Lulu) Flores, Cynthia Valadez-Mata and Matt Worthington.
Julie Oliver and Mike Siegel, founders of Ground Game Texas, and Dr. Jim Henson, director of the Texas Politics Project, spokes at the March 7 virtual meeting.
The April 4 meeting featured candidates in the Texas Democratic Party’s May 24 runoff: Lieutenant Governor: Mike Collier; Attorney General: Rochelle Garza (via video) and Joe Jaworski; Land Commissioner: Jay Kleberg and Sandragrace Martinez; and Comptroller: Janet Dudding
The May 2 meeting featured public school issues facing Board of Education members. Speakers were Jasmin Wagner, Austin ISD vice president; Dr. Gloria Gonzales-Dholakia, Leander ISD vice president, and Tiffanie Harrison, Round Rock ISD vice president. The meeting also included Beto O'Rourke, Democratic candidate for governor.
September 2019 Minutes