January 7, 2019 Minutes
February 4, 2019 Minutes
March 4, 2019 Minutes
April 1, 2019 minutes
May 6, 2019 minutes
June 3, 2019 minutes
July 1, 2019 Minutes
August 2019 Minutes
Beginning in May 2020, WGG has held virtual monthly meetings via Zoom because Covid-19 has paused in-person meetings. Following are speakers who have addressed up to 80-100 members each month:
· Glen Maxey, Texas Democratic Party primary director
· State Rep. Celia Israel
· Chas Moore, founder and executive director of Austin Justice Coalition
· Dr. Colette Pierce Burnette, president and CEO of Huston-Tillotson University
· Chad Dunn – Texas Democratic Party general counsel
· Katie Naranjo, Travis County Democratic Party chair, and Liz McLeod, TCDP Coordinated Campaign director
· State Rep. Donna Howard and Texas Democratic Party Primary Chair Glen Maxey
· State Reps. Sheryl Cole, Donna Howard, Gina Hinojosa and Celia Israel, and Dallas City Council members Jimmy Flannigan and Alison Alter spoke in December.
· Val Benavidez, president and executive director of Texas Freedom Network, spoke in January 2021.
· Andrew Allison with Austinites for Progressive Reform spoke at the February meeting.
· Anne Dunkelberg, program director for Every Texan, spoke at the March meeting about efforts to get Medicaid Expansion passed in the 2021 legislative session.
· Carl Jones, field director for Non-Urban Rural Outreach, spoke at the April meeting about the organization's efforts to persuade rural and suburban Texans to vote for Democrats.
· Joe Jaworski, candidate for Texas attorney general, and Mike Collier, candidate for lieutenant governor, spoke at the May 3 meeting.
· Former State Sen. Kirk Watson spoke at the June 7 meeting.
· Julie Oliver, executive director of Register2Vote and head of Ground Game Texas, and Glen Maxey, retired legislative affairs director of the Texas Democratic Party, spoke at the July 12 meeting.
· Former Democratic candidate Kim Olson spoke about WomenWin, a PAC supporting women, at the August 2 meeting. Also speaking were State Reps. Celia Israel and Gina Hinojosa.
· State Rep. James Talarico and Cynthia Van Maanen, Travis County Democratic Party executive director, spoke at the September 13 meeting.
· U.S. Rep. Lloyd Doggett and Texas Democratic Party co-executive directors Jamarr Brown and Hannah Roe Beck spoke at the October 4 meeting. Also speaking were Mark Littlefield and Jeremy Hendricks about Austin propositions on the November 2 ballot.
. Ed Espinoza, executive director of Progress Texas; Marisa Bono, chief executive of Every Texan; and Matthew Dowd, candidate for Texas lieutenant governor, spoke at the November 1 meeting.
State Reps. Donna Howard, Gina Hinojosa, Vikki Goodwin, Celia Israel and James Talarico spoke at the December 6 meeting.
Democratic primary candidate forums were held on the January 10, 2022, meeting. Those were: State Board of Education, District 5: Member Rebecca Bell-Metereau, Juan Juarez, Kevin Guico; Travis County Clerk: Dyana Limon-Mercado, Kurt Lockhart; Travis County Commissioner Precinct 2: Commissioner Brigid Shea, Bob Libal; Travis County Commissioner Precinct 4: Commissioner Margaret Gomez, Susanna Ledesma-Woody; Texas House District 50: James Talarico, David Alcorta
Two Democratic primary races were on the February 7 virtual meeting. Those running for U.S. House District 35: former Austin City Council member Greg Casar, former State Rep. Eddie Rodriguez, Carla Joy Sisco and Rebecca Viagran. Five of those running for state House District 51: Cody Arn, Claire Campos-O’Neal, Maria Luisa (Lulu) Flores, Cynthia Valadez-Mata and Matt Worthington.
Julie Oliver and Mike Siegel, founders of Ground Game Texas, and Dr. Jim Henson, director of the Texas Politics Project, spokes at the March 7 virtual meeting.
The April 4 meeting featured candidates in the Texas Democratic Party’s May 24 runoff: Lieutenant Governor: Mike Collier; Attorney General: Rochelle Garza (via video) and Joe Jaworski; Land Commissioner: Jay Kleberg and Sandragrace Martinez; and Comptroller: Janet Dudding
The May 2 meeting featured public school issues facing Board of Education members. Speakers were Jasmin Wagner, Austin ISD vice president; Dr. Gloria Gonzales-Dholakia, Leander ISD vice president, and Tiffanie Harrison, Round Rock ISD vice president. The meeting also included Beto O'Rourke, Democratic candidate for governor.
Speakers at the June 6, 2022, meeting were Dyana Limon-Mercado, executive director, Planned Parenthood Texas Votes, and Ana Maria Rea, associate vice president of Advocacy, RAICES. Ms. Limon-Mercado spoke on abortion issues and Ms. Rea on immigration.
Speakers at the July 11 meeting were State Rep. Vikki Goodwin and Ed Scruggs, a founder and former board chairman of Texas Gun Sense.
Speakers at the August 1, 2022, meeting were State Rep. Donna Howard, former Senator Wendy Davis, founder of Deeds Not Words, and Luke Warford, candidate for the Texas Railroad Commission.
fThe October 3 meeting featured Austin mayor candidates Kirk Watson and Celia Israel. Watson is a former mayor of Austin and state Senator. Israel represents District 50 in the state House of Representatives. Also speaking was Stephanie Gharakhanian, Austin Community College trustee, about ACC's bond proposal.
State Rep. Celia Israel, recent candidate for Austin mayor, spoke at the January 9 meeting. Also speaking was Luis Figueroa, chief of legislative affairs for Every Texan (formerly Center for Public Policy Priorities).
Speakers at the February 6, meeting were Dr. Jim Henson, who directs the Texas Politics Project at UT-Austin, and Robert Norris, retired Senior Analyst of the Texas Legislative Budget Board. udge
Speakers at the March 6 meeting were Josh Houston, advocacy director of Texas Impact: People of Faith Working for Justice, and Emerald Belmarez, Texas Freedom Network’s Organizing Strategist and Adri Perez, Organizing Director.
U.S. Rep. Lloyd Doggett was speaker at the May 1, 2023 meeting
Reps. Vikki Goodwin, Donna Howard and Lulu Flores Vikki Goodwin, Donna Howard and Lulu Flores spoke at the June 5, 2023, meeting.
September 2019 Minutes